A few years ago, our family made the switch from low-fat margarine (blech!!) to pure butter. Not only does it taste waaaay better than marg, it is also good for us. Yes, yes it is – whoopee!!
During the Intro stage of GAPS (early 2016), my family was introduced to the taste sensation that is ghee, otherwise known as clarified butter. There are a truckload of benefits to ghee, even over butter, and in the early stages of GAPS it is important to use in place of butter as there is no casein and lactose present.
Homemade ghee is dead easy to make, tastes fantastic in sweet and savoury dishes, and is incredibly affordable compared to store-bought. So give it a go…you’ll never look back.
1kg butter, preferably grass fed
- Set your TM to 60 min/Varoma/speed 1/MC off.
- Quickly, while the TM is on, cut the butter into large cubes and place them into the TM bowl through the hole in the lid.
- Place the TM simmering basket onto the TM lid (to release steam and prevent spattering).
- After 60 mins, reset the TM to 30 min/Varoma/speed 1/MC off (basket on lid).
- Allow the ghee to cool to room temp before pouring through a muslin or cheese cloth into sterilised jars. Discard the solids.